Friday, May 3, 2013

"free dumb"


Overcoming the fear of failure is the best test-taking skill. Pass or fail is just an experience of being tested, that's it. You will be judged with your failures most often unfortunately.

He was talking and coherent. He was himself, as I had known him. I was pleased but that was yesterday.

I was called emergently the next day to the ward as the patient was agitated, pulling out lines and tubes. He was demanding to be discharged home right away.

As I entered his room, I saw him sitting on his bed. He was quiet. I gently asked him, how can I help you?

He looked at me with a faint tear is his eyes and replied, you can't do anything. I have dementia. I am sorry for creating this mess.

He was briefly coherent then.

I sat next to him with his hands in mine. I reminded him of his earlier years and his sayings like freedom is actually free dumb, there is no such thing as freedom, people will make new sets of restrictions for new definitions of freedoms. It always happens.

It appeared that he was listening. Then he broke his silence and said, who are you ?

3 comments:

Jackson Chronicles said...

Yes. The experience of being tested can result in pass or fail. When the mind fails it is a test--test of how others can remember when we succeeded.

As always much to think about. Glad to see your recent post.

Anonymous said...

Veгy nice ροѕt. Ι just ѕtumbled upon yοur blog and
ωisheԁ to say that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. In any case I'll be subscribing to your feed аnd I hope you wгіte agаіn verу sοοn!


Мy blog music.sportsinnercity.com

Mike said...

Thank you for touching me in a way few writers do. You say the things we all want to say but are unable.